>2 p4 processor systems

Brian LaMere blamere at diversa.com
Tue Aug 27 11:59:53 PDT 2002

For whatever reason, management has decided that real estate in the server
room is an *extreme* issue.  There are plenty of empty racks, but hey...what
do I know.

After testing, I found a single-cpu p4 system literally did almost exactly
(averaged, less than 1% difference) the same amount as a dual p3 1ghz.

For what ever reason, it has been decided that getting 1U 6-way p3 1ghz
systems at extreme costs would be better than simply getting a dual p4
system.   The dual p4 would do 2/3 the work, at 1/7 the cost.  Maybe I
didn't take that special math that has caused so many places so many issues
lately, but...that just doesn't make sense to me.

So I'm trying to find out if anyone knows of a 4-way p4 system out there.
I'm wanting to bring a couple dual-p4's in here just so they'll see that the
performance far surpases the current per-node performance we have on our
cluster, but...brick wall.  The guy above me agrees with me, the guy above
him won't talk to me about it.  He just gets all excited about a 6-way p3
server in 1u.  Whoopie.

So...help?  Anyone know of any 4-way p4 systems?  And no, amd isn't an
option (unfortunately).

Brian