Windows HPC

Chris Black cblack at eragen.com
Tue Aug 6 09:57:14 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 11:09, Daniel Pfenniger wrote:
> Paul Redfern wrote:
> >
> >    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
> >            Encoding: 7BIT
>
> In this advertisement I don't see clearly the value added by Windows
> software on such hardware when one wants just to do HPC.
> I only see added costs, which goes against the beowulf philosophy
> to care about the performance/cost ratio.

The value-add may have to do with what software they may be using. If
Gaussian wasn't available on linux, you wouldn't use linux for your
gaussian cluster, would you?
It is easy to find people who can write excel macros, since it is the
standard for handling data of any type, anywhere, so they designed this
cluster for high-throughput excel macro processing. :)
Splitting up the load over multiple excel processes is necessary due to
the 2^^16 row limit.

Actually, I know nothing about the cluster in question, but it may be a
proprietary software issue or influenced by generous funding.

Chris