2U cases for dual MP1900+

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 1 11:34:14 PDT 2002

> > hi ya
> >
> > i claim ... that the same problem that occurs for
> > 1U will also be a problem for cooling the cpus in 2U cases
> >
> > what you need to watch out for is to make sure the
> > cpu fan has enough air gap between the fan and the cover
> >
> > 0.5" for 1U cases is sorta a minumum requirement so
> > that the fan can do its magic in cooling the heatsink.
> >         - most fans are just too close to the cover
> >         and is just a noise maker ...

or place the fan on the side of the heat sink and blow through it...

The stock intel socket603 xeon heats sinks do this, although they're to
tall for 2u cases... supermicro's 2u and 1u cases do the same although the
1u's use rotatry blowers mounted off the board rather than fans mounted on
the heatsink proper.

used in conjunction with intake and exhaust fans and decent cable
mangement an airgap on top of  the heatsinks should't be than critical...

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but