Suggestions on fiber Gigabit NICs

javier.iglesias at freesurf.ch javier.iglesias at freesurf.ch
Wed Apr 24 03:18:46 PDT 2002

Hi all,

To cope with some network bottleneck problems leading to calculation
crashes, we envisage to migrate our 18-nodes' (bi-AMD 1600+/Tyan Tiger
MP/FastEthernet/Scyld 27-b8) master to Gigabit.

I would like to get your feelings/experiences on two fiber Gigabit
NICs :

1) Netgear GA-621
-> http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=1&yrp=1&zrp=106

2) 3Com 3C996-SX
->
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C996-SX

We have a really nice ethernet Extreme Networks Summit 48 switch
-> http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/datasheets/summit24.asp
that offers 2 fiber Gigabit ports we want to push to work :)

Any other suggestion ? want to share comments ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

--javier

---
Genug gewartet? sunrise ADSL: schneller im Internet.
http://www.sunrise.ch/de/internet/int_ads.asp
---
Assez attendu? Avec sunrise ADSL, surfez encore plus vite sur le net.
http://www.sunrise.ch/fr/internet/int_ads.asp
---
Stufo di aspettare? Con sunrise ADSL più veloce che mai in Internet.
http://www.sunrise.ch/it/internet/int_ads.asp