Maximum room temperature

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 22 14:51:49 PDT 2002

> 	- or some silly guidelines like that..

uh, yeah, that's the word that came to my mind too.

I get quite upset when my 33KW machineroom is over 23C or so.
when it is at 20C, various bits of hardware report that they're
at 30-35C inside their case.  if you assume a fairly safe
.5 C/W thermal resistance for heatsink/fan combination,
that means you can technically have, a CPU dissipating 140W.
this is why dual-athlon machines (two 60+W CPUs) are a bit
tricky to cool.  especially since although current CPUs are spec'ed
at 90-100C, you REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DO SO.  I consider 50C
a fairly hot CPU.