HIGH MEM suport for up to 64GB

Abhishek sinha aby_sinha at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 21 18:08:10 PDT 2002

hi all

This is what i did to allocate more than 3 Gb out of 4 Gb of RAM to the
userspace .
In the file /usr/src/linux2.4.*/include/asm-i386/page_offset.h

Under the line #ifdef CONFIG_1GB
Changed #define PAGE_OFFSET_RAW 0xC00000000 to PAGE_OFFSET_RAW 0xE00000000

then in processor.h changed #define TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE (TASK_SIZE/3) to
(TASK_SIZE/16)

and then recomplied the kernel with high mem support.
this was on 2.4.7-10 , in 2.4.18 there are minor changes

I am not a big kernel hacker and still learning so please use it with
backups.
comments invited

abhishek