very high bandwidth, low latency manner? (i860)

Don Holmgren djholm at fnal.gov
Fri Apr 12 16:11:41 PDT 2002

Unfortunately the measured performance doesn't match the published
specs.  DMA rates reported by the Myrinet driver on 64/66 cards are
about 315 MB/sec and 225 MB/sec, respectively, for bus writes and reads.
See the reported measurements on a number of i860-based motherboards at
Greg Lindahl's page,

    http://www.conservativecomputer.com/myrinet/perf.html

This has been a sore point for lots of folks wanting to build clusters
with i860-based machines.

Don Holmgren
Fermilab