problems with scyld - slave nodes

Son Nguyen snguyen at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 22:08:38 PST 2001

>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:19:06 -0600 (CST)
>From: german kogan <gkogan at students.uiuc.edu>
>To: <beowulf at beowulf.org>
>Subject: problems with Scyld
>

>Hi.
>
>I am having problems with booting up slave nodes. Every time I try to do
>it I get an error in the state column in the BeoSetup. I looked in the log
>file for that node and it said
>" setup_libs: Copying libraries to node 2...
>tar:lib/ld-2.1.3.so: Cannot write: No space left on device
>tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>Library copy to node failed. (rootfs=/rootfs)"
>
>I cleaned up, deleted most of the partitions, on that node using the fdisk
>utility from the Windows 98 start up disk. But still gives me the same
>error. If somebody can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks

German,

it is not ram.  it is partition allocation.  your / partition is not enough.
  here is a suggestion

fat    50mb         beoboot
swap   256mb        swap
/      rest(1.4gig) rest

I have also found out that on certain testing of the filesystem, I can load
100% of the / partition.  After a reboot, the slave node does not allow full
active state due to lack of space issues.

Good luck

Sonny Nguyen
Senior Networking and Distributed Systems Engineer
The Mitre Corporation

>Message: 12
>Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:50:37 -0700
>To: beowulf at beowulf.org
>Subject: Problems with Scyld
>From: Art Edwards <edwards at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com>
>
>  am attempting to install 16 new nodes on an existing Scyld network
>(Scyld 27Bz-7) with little success. The new nodes have #com905CX ethernet
>cards. When I attempt to use the standard Scyld tools, boot the slave node,
>drag the new MAC address to the list and click apply, nothing happens. The
>slave node continues to issue RARP attempts. When I build one of the new
>nodes into a head node and attempt the same process, the MAC address does
>not appear in the new addresses column. It seems as if the new ethernet
>cards
>can send, but not receive.
>
>Any help would be apreciated.
>
>Art Edwards

Art,

1) there is something wrong with the server.

2) take a look to see if you see a /var/beowulf to see if the file
unknown_addresses exist.  if not touch the file and retry the client node.

Good Luck

Sonny Nguyen
Senior Networking and Distributed Systems Engineer
The Mitre Corporation

Here is a new question.  I have just received 27cz-8a.  Built the server.
When trying to boot the slave nodes, the server sees it, accept it and
distribute ip for the client without any intervention.  The slave node then
failed to do the second boot phase...with the error...

neighbor table overflow....

this is a fresh install.  I have never seen this on 27bz-7

Sonny Nguyen