Tyan Tiger MP (was: Re: [ot] Re: AMD testing)

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Sun Nov 4 10:19:35 PST 2001

$15 power supplies of any variety are invariably garbage...  there are
plenty of 300W power supplies in the $30-$35 range from larger taiwanese
manufacturers that put out 30A on the 5V wire.  But then, the price diff
between 300 and 350W is often $5, so go with the higher wattage.

An excellent Athlon/AthlonXP/AthlonMP cooler is the Dynatron DC1206BM-L,
it measures 60x60mm (horizontally) and uses a unique micro-fin design.
I've had very good results with it on the 1.53GHz Palomino core CPUs.
This HSF costs around $20 each.  URL:
http://www.dynatron-corp.com/proddetail.asp?cid=6&sku=DC1206BM-L

> > BTW - anyone have experience running non-MP athlons on these boards? I
> > booted it with a couple and ran various jobs (dnetc, gromacs, g98,
> > bunch of compile jobs of said programs as well as a FreeBSD and linux
> > kernel among other things) and I've had no problems yet.
>
> Sounds promising, did you get any noticable drop in performance?

I know it's possible to run dual Athlon-C (Thunderbird) 1.4GHz CPUs on the
Tyan S2460, but it's not adviseable unless your budget is really limited.
The Palominos (AthlonMP/AthlonXP) perform at least 15% better in many
FPU-intensive tasks.

Eric Kuhnke
Lead Engineer / Operations Manager
Fnord Datacenter Systems Inc.