custom cluster cabinets -- cooling

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed May 23 15:18:01 PDT 2001

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:

> designing 8 servers inside a 1U shelf space is a challenge
> and must be accompanied by a similarly sized budget

True, the first 8-node unit would cost about $30-40K but if you're going
to build over 30, then the cost would drop below an OTS solution.

> and if off-the-shelf 8 servers in 1U space is required...
> a cool crusoe based system might work if its not too compute
> intensive...

I was surprised to see the Crusoe blades (nodes) priced around
$1200/node. Maybe the prices will fall after the AMD and Intel
equivalents turn up later this year.

Has anyone seen the benchmarks on the Crusoe? ...Mips, Flops, Spec ?? I
haven't seen any actual results yet.

Bari