PGI and Scyld

jacobs jacobsgd21 at BrandonU.CA
Tue May 8 10:49:04 PDT 2001

I'm currently involved in a summer project to port some large
astrophysics code to a higher performance system from a DEC/VMS Alpha
machine.  One of the options that is being looked at strongly is using
an Intel/Linux cluster.

Previously, a small group of us had installed a small test cluster using
the Scyld prepackaged software.  We built a few (C) test programs, found
some good approximations to Pi, etc...

Now, however, we are moving on to the real stuff.  Unfortunately, the
f77 code is not readily compiled by g77,  however the PGI suite works
just fine.

What are some of the trials and tribulations associated with running the
PGI compilers over BPROC.  Is it worth my time?  Should I use clean
installs of RedHat (or whatever) onto the slaves, then compile MPICH
using the PGI suite, installing all the libraries on the slaves.  Is
compiling BeoMPI with the PGI tools a problem, or is it less trouble
than I think.

I have no problem homebrewing my own setup if that's in fact the easiest
way to go.

thanks,
Geoff