Several Questions

Steve Gaudet sgaudet at angstrommicro.com
Thu May 17 11:52:51 PDT 2001

Hello Jain,

> 1. How could I make the monitor, which is pluged into a node,
> show me what is going on in the node ?

This requires a bit more specification...
it doesn't really make sense. do you want to know what is going on on
OTHER nodes? if you have a monitor plugged into a node, you can figure out
what's going on the same way you would in general -
Use a 'top' menu to see what processes are running and what they are
utilizing.
a packet sniffer will show you network activity.
check the unix 'ps' command for greater detail.

to see what OTHER machines in your cluster are doing, there are several
#1. log in to each machine and see (not a very good thing to do, but it DOES
work).
#2. use a program such as VNC to bring up the desktop to each machine on
another machine. also not great.
#3. use the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) to have a workstation
monitor all of your machines at once.
#4. use premade cluster management software, such as the open source, VACM
(http://www.sourceforge.net) that uses SNMP and other tools
to see what's
going on with other machines.
#5. Beowulf has it's BProc stuff, too.

> 2. When I tried to use "beofdisk -q" on the server
> to get some infomation, nothing appears. I waited for a few minutes
> before I used ^c to stop the process. Should there be any prompt appear?
> Should I wait for a longer time?

check your logs, because it SHOULD issue a prompt when it's done. watch the
'top' menu to see if something's happening.

> 3. When I use "beostatus", there comes out an error message,
"segmentation
> dumped".

this probably explains your problem with beofdisk as well. When a
segmentation fault occurs something is damaged or corrupted. I'd say first
reinstall the beowulf software and make sure it's properly configured. try
recompiling it (this is only applicable for open source. i forget if scyld's
stuff is COMPLETELY open. i think it is) for your system.
It sounds like your binaries might not be intact.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Gaudet
Angstrom Microsystems
200 Linclon St., Suite 401