Question about BProc process migration/ Scyld.

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Fri Mar 9 09:34:09 PST 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Todd Chapman wrote:

> 1. Dou you need access the the program's source code to make modifications
> for process migration?

Yes, no, and maybe.

	If you want for a regular program to be able to spawn a remote
child where it would normally spawn a local child, you need to be able to
either mess with the dynamic libraries it sees (LD_PRELOAD or similar) or
alter the source code.

	If you want to be able to spawn an unmodified program on a remote
node, the Scyld distribution make this easy. You can use the existing
program (bpsh) which acts like rsh, but uses our system. You can also
program to the BProc library directly and use the bproc_execmove() call.

> 2. Or, can a wrapper be written that is migrated and spawns the real
> application?

Yes. This is the 'bpsh' wrapper described above.

> If there is any documentation that explains this more plainly than the
> Scyld documentation I would really be interested.

Which documentation do you mean? The documentation under
/usr/doc/beowulf-doc-XXX contains everything I have just mentioned.

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation