high physical density cluster design -structural...

Velocet mathboy at velocet.ca
Tue Mar 6 12:45:30 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 03:33:50PM -0500, Lechner, David's all...
> I'll throw in that there are some valid liability concerns and Underwriters
> Lab issues and insurance policy issues that people building their own
> hardware should think about -

> There are greater risks of electrical fires when dealing with plexiglass and
> plywood casing for electrical products - esp. ones that get hot spots and PC
> processors and such -

> I would hate to have to explain to a corporate or university financial
> manager after-the-fact when 50 PCs in plywood or plastic cases were mounted
> in a high density home-grown arrangement caught on fire or worse-yet that
> fire injured someone or electricuted someone.

> That bunch of UL and NEBS tests are what the insurance industry falls back
> onto, and is why the products are slightly more expensive than spin-your-own
> boxes.  I think that university teams in particular are given some
> flexibility (in some cases not!) but since the market for cluster products
> has evolved now it seems worth considering.

> This also does not count the personal or project time factors involved - are
> you in the hardware business or do you want to get code running - there are
> qualified hardware vendors that can provide hardware to specification or in
> vanilla flavor at reasonably quick turnarounds -

Good points. The plexiglass is something we've considered here also for
static electricity issues. Thats part of the reason we're looking to
go all metal. We WONT be using plywood at all - basically for the reason
you state above, but also because in our colo facility wood isnt allowed
at all (we even limit the amount of paper manuals per suite).

To kill both the static electricity and fire safety issues with the plexiglass
we will probably just not bother with it at all.

All we have to worry about is shorting out the boards on the metal mounts. :)

/kc