Experienced newbee - recomendations for kernel, diskless config and other Q's?

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Fri Jun 1 08:40:49 PDT 2001

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001, d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au wrote:

> A few questions from an experienced sys-admin that is a "beowulf
> newbee"...
>
> If I use Redhat, what version had best support for Beowulf? The older
> version have been around the longest, so we know they "work", but does
> 2.2.19 (redhat 7.0) or the 2.4.x (redhat 7.1) kernel give better
> out-of-the-box support? (I'll still have to compile the kernel, but that's
> no big deal)

Red Hat Linux really doesn't include Beowulf support.  Red Hat once put
out a CD called 'Extreme Linux' that was Red Hat Linux 5.0 plus some
Beowulf stuff.

However, we currently ship a product called Scyld Beowulf.  It is based
off of Red Hat Linux with additions that make it great for setting up a
Beowulf cluster.  It will allow th ehead node to install out of the box.
Setting up a slave node for our cluster can be as easy as just sticking
a floppy disk in (and it will just use a ramdisk), or if you want to
actually setup swap and some harddrive space (like /tmp), can take as
long as 5 minutes.  Our latest release is based off of Red Hat Linux 6.2
with a 2.2.17 kernel.  However, newer releases are always in the works.