more duals athlons...

Bill Broadley bill at math.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:41:19 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 03:44:19PM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>  They try to draw from the side.  But, if you have mounting rails you are
>  hosed.  It is just a bad design all the way around.

I've touched one of these systems.  The airflow seemed quite adequate,
it's the traditional front to back airflow.

One turbine fan keeps the case cool, 2 turbine fans go into a duct that
keeps the air cool until it gets directly injected into the 2 cpu's, which
then of course exhasuts into the case.  The 4th fan injects air into
the power supply.  I couldn't tell if the 4th fan helped the airflow
into the cpu's as well, I didn't take it apart far enough.

In general I was impressed, the air exiting the case was noticably
normal, but less then many other machines.  The airflow in all areas
seemed pretty healthy.

I looked for the original message from Ted Becker but it looked like a
personal email.  I'd like to talk to anyone using these cases, I have
several on order.  I'd be especially interested in exactly what
conditions the failure happened.  Where the paper sleeves removed?  Was
the case open?  Was there a failure or did the bios due a shutdown to
protect itself etc.

--
Bill Broadley