Q: pgf77 on x86 w/ > 1GB RAM?

Brian brian at heptane.eng.yale.edu
Wed Jul 25 08:13:11 PDT 2001

Hey guys,

  I think I'm answering my own question now - if anyone else has had this
problem, here's what SEEMS to be a quick and dirty fix.  (Quick and
dirty being the key words!)  Also, good conscience tells me to write that
although it's working for me right now, it's not elegant, and who knows
what problems it may create?

  That said, here goes:

  In the kernel source, in file mmap.c, there is a line that reads:

  addr = TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE;

  .. This is what sets the default address of the shared libs in the
memory mapping, and it's at 0x40000000 (1G) by default.  So change it to,
for example:

  addr = 0x80000000;

  .. And you should, in theory, have up to ~2GB to use for the codes.
People with a little more knowledge than I have can probably shed more
light on this, and while it's not pretty right now, when I have time I may
try to work on something nicer.  Right now, I just need these jobs to run.
:)

  For more info on this, check out the comp.os.linux.development.system
newsgroup, back around June 7th or so.

  Hope that helps someone else!
  - Brian