beowulf cluster configuration.

Pedro Díaz Jiménez pdiaz88 at terra.es
Sat Jul 21 08:02:07 PDT 2001

On Saturday 21 July 2001 12:27, Archana Mallajosyula wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a query regarding establishing a Beowulf cluster.
>
> My company wants to create a cluster using a set of PCs. I am new to this
> project, and from what I've seen so far, we need to configure one of the
> PCs as a Front-end and the rest work in a client capacity. correct me if I
> am wrong.
>
> Now assuming the above architecture, I need to know, will we need
> Linux(RedHat,SuSe,etc) installed on all our PCs in the cluster or is it
> sufficient to install it on the main (front end) machine. Also, how does
> Beowulf work? Do we need to install a RedHat/Suse version of Linux (which
> Beowulf will perform kernel modifcations on)or does Beowulf have its own
> Linux that can be installed?
hi,

You'll need an operating system (linux, freebsd or whatever you choose) on
each of the nodes. A beowulf cluster is more a conceptual design than an
specific implementation. It's about taking a pile of PC and, with the
adecuate programming techniques, convert it to look like a massive parallel
computer.

It's important to know that you will have to provide somehow the
infrastructure to make this happen. You'll have to choose your programming
technique, your system configuration, etc... There are several solutions out
there which provide almost out-of-the-box beowulf solutions. Take a look at
Scyld (http://www.scyld.com). What I want to express is that the application
you are trying to run on a beowulf won't run faster if it's not somehow
designed or modified to run in parallel

http://www.beowulf.org is a good place to start looking for more information

Take a look at the documentation links at planet cluster:
http://planetcluster.org/links.php?op=viewlink&cid=2

more concretely, at the newbie links section:
http://planetcluster.org/links.php?op=viewslink&sid=4

links to other cluster sites with information here:
http://planetcluster.org/links.php?op=viewlink&cid=3

Hope this helps

Pedro

> I hope to get some replies soon, as I am really struggling to find these
> answers. I have just subscribed to the group, so please point out if this
> issue has previously been addressed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Archana

- ----------------------------------------
- ----------------------------------------

- --

 /                                                  \
 | Pedro Diaz Jimenez                               |
 | pdiaz88 at terra.es      pdiaz at acm.asoc.fi.upm.es   |
 | http://planetcluster.org                         |
 | Clustering & H.P.C. news and documentation       |
 | There are no stupid questions, but there're a    |
 | lot of inquisitive idiots                        |
 |        Anonymous                                 |
 | "I find your lack of faith disturbing."          |
 |        Darth Vader, Star Wars Episode IV         |