SBC and beowulf

Chris Black cblack at eragen.com
Mon Jul 16 09:25:23 PDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 04:08:35PM +0000, Pedro Díaz Jiménez wrote:

> Hi Beowulf people,
>
> Does anyone here has had experiences with SBC (single board computer)
> beowulfs?. I find it a very interesting topic in cluster building techniques,

[stuff deleted]

> If anyone has had that experiences I will greatly apreciate that he/she could
> answer some questions I have in mind. I'm mainly interested in cost-efective
> (probably x86) SBC with PCI interface (if feel that VME is a little offtopic
> for a beowulf,isn't it?). The main questions I have are:

[questions deleted]

The main questions *I* would have about SBC clusters are:
1) Would it be cost effective?
It seems that SBCs are more expensive for the same amount of
CPU power and memory than rackmount nodes with standard motherboards.

2) What would be the benefit?
I assume it would be space/power/cooling?

Chris