Scyld and Red Hat 7

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Wed Jan 31 13:02:44 PST 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:55:42PM -0500, Michael T. Prinkey wrote:
> (until now I failed to get a running system: my test box hangs
> > after printing the message "booting the kernel ..." to the screen. Any
> > ideas? I attribute this to some mistake I have made, not to RH 6.2).
>
> Check that you have selected the right CPU type.  I had the same
> problem.  I believe 2.4 defaults to P3.  Things worked OK once I
> selected P1 MMX to match my system.

Thanks. You were right on target.
My box now is running RH6.2 with a 2.4 kernel.

Which proves:
1. you don't need RH 7 to run a 2.4 kernel.
2. with respect to hardware support: most of that comes with the kernel,
   particularly everything that is loaded as modules (e.g., and NIC drivers).
   Hence, upgrading to a 2.4 kernel probably gets you better hardware
   support than upgrading to RH 7.0.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6