WANTED: standalone non-blocking 48port + 2*1Gb uplink switch

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Tue Jan 23 12:58:58 PST 2001

Hi Judy,

I just went through the same exercise. Here is what I found:
Switches listed from lowest price to highest (approximately).

Intel 420T
Enterasys VH-4802
HP Procurve 4000M
Allied Telesyn Rapier 48
Cisco Catalyst 3548XL
Cisco Catalyst 2948G

Remarks: I could not figure out from Intel's web site whether you can
switch off autonegotiation on the 420T and force the switch to
100baseT-FD. If it can't be done, I won't take the switch into consideration.
The HP 4000M has a backplane speed of only 3.8Gb/s. That doesn't seem to
be enough.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6