su segfault (core dump) problem.

Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project gscluster at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 10:40:02 PST 2001

Hello,

I'm running 15 diskless nodes attached to another node using NFS to export
to each node: a / filesystem, a shared /home filesystem, and a shared /usr
filesystem.  This is a new setup I just implimented (mostly sharing /usr as
before each node had its own instead of sharing).  I'm running RH 6.2 with
PVM3 and I've been testing it with pvmpovray.  As of right now, I can rsh
into all nodes from any other node (security is not an issue).  However,
when I su to become root and do administrative tasks all nodes will now
segfault and sometimes (not always) cause a core dump.  Now, I'm far from
knowledgeable about cores, but does anyone have any suggestions or previous
experiences with similar problems.  This did not happen before, when all
nodes had individual /usr directories (this made software addition
horrible).

Thank you,

Wes Wells

Georgia Southern University