Scyld, RedHat 7.0, 6.2 and Athlon's

Timothy I Mattox tmattox at skyhawk.ecc.engr.uky.edu
Tue Jan 16 18:18:52 PST 2001

Sorry, we are avoiding RH 7.0 and haven't put Scyld on our systems yet...
so I can't help you there, but I wanted to clarify something from the
originial post about Thunderbirds and RH 6.2:

> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:09:40 -0600
> From: Frank Muldoon <fmuldoo at alpha2.eng.lsu.edu>
[snip]
>  There is a
> hardware conflict with RedHat 6.2 on Athlon Thunderbird machines.  This
> was confirmed by the vendor after we had spent much time trying to
> diagnose the problem.  The vendor (SYNS) says "Slot A Original Athlon
> does not have any problem, but
> Thunderbird and Duron (both SocketA or SlotA)are not supported by 6.2."

Would you please be more specific?
Which motherboard are you using and what are the problems?

We (my research group at the University of Kentucky) are running several
SlotA Thunderbirds with RedHat 6.2, and have had no problems with them
after the initial setup.

We had some difficulty setting up the systems due to using Software
RAID0, and an odd problem with disk geometry vs fdisk when we connected
our 45 GB IBM drives to the ATA100 controller before being partitioned.
Once the partition map was correct on the drives, they worked
wonderfully on the Asus A7V.

We are using a recent kernel (2.2.17) with patches for ATA100 and RAID,
and a few updated RPMs.  Hardware stats:
1.2 GHz Thunderbird, Asus A7V SlotA motherboard, two 45 GB IBM
drives as a software RAID0, 384 MB PC133 CAS2 SDRAM (3 DIMMs),
and a few other components that I don't recall the specifics of off hand.

--
Tim Mattox - tmattox at ieee.org - http://home.earthlink.net/~timattox
   http://aggregate.org/KAOS/ - http://advogato.org/person/tmattox/