Rack mounted systems.

Walter B. Ligon III walt at parl.ces.clemson.edu
Wed Jan 10 15:34:46 PST 2001

--------

There is a company that sells a case that will put 3 nodes in 1U.  That is
the most dense I have seen.  Of course, you have to buy from them (including
their mainboard, I think) and I have doubts about cooling in those things.

We're building 264 nodes (528 cpus) using 2U cases.  A "standard" rack is 42U.
There is no wasted space, but you need to think about network switches, UPSs,
console management hubs, etc. which will take more space.  I think we're
planning on 16 racks.

You can also get 1/2 depth cases that let you populate the back of the rack.
I'm not sure I'd want to deal the resulting rat's nest.  Might be a way to
get the auxilliary stuff out the way though.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Walt