Help needed please !!!

Jared Hodge jared_hodge at iat.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 5 06:21:41 PST 2001

I have a dumb idea, or at least a dumb suggestion.  You say your problem
involves a lot of iterations that you want to execute in parallel.  If
you don't need to complete one iteration before beginning the next, you
could very easily write a shell script to farm out the iterations to
different processors and combine the results.  This could be your
parallel "executable".  If this is the case (the "Embarrassingly
Parallel" that RGB was talking about), then you could use a very
advanced timing routing, "date" or something like that.  This probably
isn't the case, though, since I doubt you would be asking for help if it
were.  The problem is that if it isn't, you have to speed up every
iteration of the loop through parallelism, something that may not be
easy if the number of iterations is very large since you'll lose some
time just waiting on communication because of network latency.  So if at
all possible, go with Embarrassingly parallel.  Keep it simple.  Hey I
told you this was a dumb idea, that's why they call it embarrassingly
parallel.