WinNT/Linux hybrids?

Schilling, Richard RSchilling at affiliatedhealth.org
Mon Feb 26 13:14:48 PST 2001

Hey, Peter Dell should chime in on this one.  This really edges on getting
Beowulf accepted into the business mainstream.

<STRATEGY ISSUES>

Robert is 1020% correct about latex, and not having to utilize Office
products, etc . . . for science types, it's optimal.  And Dr. Knuth gets a
lot of credit for developing tex too.

A good example of integrating solid clusters with business would be our next
system.  It uses a cluster built on DataGeneral servers, and will be
installed within 18 months.  A requirement of the product is that it
delivers data to the desktop, which means Office product integration or
Windows desktop delivery using client/server.  Those types of systems are
excellent case studies.  The system also demonstrates that while Microsoft
has market share on the desktop, it dosen't hold a candle to midrange
clustering, mainframe clustering, and Beowulf clustering as well.

What I have run into, and this is a big issue for business
heads/administrators/etc . . . is that users don't care to stretch too much
technically when it comes to getting work done.  I've had to deal with that
in various ways, the most notable is integrating and Excel spreadsheet
directly into a relational database -yech.  Users just want to get that
report out/do that analysis so the boss does not harp on them too hard.  On
the other hand, they are usually open to something that is easy, dosen't
cost money, and gets the job done better.  The key is to know where the user
is currently, and deliver a product on a silver platter, all without
degrading the performance of the cluster.

If we conquer the Office products, and integrate the Beowulf power so the
average person can "reach out" and grab it, then it'll be much easier to
sell to the corporate types.  This could be as simple as getting Excel to
read Beowulf results off of a node through Apache, or writing an export
function to port Access databases to a distributed database.  It could be as
complicated as porting PVM to work on Windows 95 machines without requiring
remote logins.

Just my $0.02.

</STRATEGY ISSUES>

Richard Schilling