The FNN (Flat Neighborhood Network) paradox

Miroslaw Gawenda mirek at magsoft.com.pl
Wed Feb 21 07:12:41 PST 2001

Thanks for great idea - I will try to check this.

I will try to prepare first 4 node beowulf tonight :)
I will put to every node 3 nics and I connect this without any switch.
After this I will put in every node only one nic and I compare the
benchmark results.

After this we can say if this giving some performance. I know so 4 nodes
is not enough but I don't have enought
free hardware now.
The reason for this test is the potential problem when some nics access
memory and PCI bus - I think so this can't give any reasonable speedup
because 3 nics can't (probably) transmit and receive data in the same
time.
however I hear about chanell bonding in beowulf - so mayby I am in wrong
way.

Does anybody have some results about this type of comaprision ? How many
nics is ideal for clusters ?
The teoretical PCI bandwith say : 132Mbytes so if the nic drivers is
good than 5 100Mbits nics will work well but the theory is only theory
:))

btw. I know so tonight is not enough too :))