Athlon vs Pentium III

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 20 08:07:18 PST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, David Grant wrote:

> Also, from a price/performance standpoint, a 1.2 GHz Athlon CPU wholesales
> for bout $200.00.  Compared this to PIII 1GHz CPU for approx. $480.00 per

I found 1 GHz PIII's at street prices in the $300-350 range vs $180-190
for 1 GHz Athlons (in a by no means complete websearch -- just a bit of
sampling).  I was actually surprised by this also, as I expected the GHz
PIII to still be way up there in price (it certainly was the last time I
looked a month or two ago).  I guess Intel is feeling the heat and can't
keep its marginal CPU prices up in the 2.5x Tbird (at equivalent clock)
range.  They are still nearly twice as expensive, but that was
compensated for by the cost of a second chassis and motherboard in a
dual vs single price comparison.

I therefore think Eric's price comparison is close to correct, although
he seems to overprice the Athlon CPUs (or has a hell of a deal on Intel
PIII's).

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu