Athlon vs Pentium III

David Grant davidgrant at mediaone.net
Mon Feb 19 17:43:56 PST 2001

Eric,

A couple of items worth noting.  The is no option as of yet to go with a
dual Athlon configuration.  There are still issues with the 760MP chipset.
Tyan has a beta board ( code name: "Lions" ) but until the chipset issues
are ironed out, it's a moot point.

More points to ponder: Generally speaking,  floating point performance is
superior with Athlons.

Also, from a price/performance standpoint, a 1.2 GHz Athlon CPU wholesales
for bout $200.00.  Compared this to PIII 1GHz CPU for approx. $480.00 per
CPU...

Hope this is helpful...

      ~David

David A. Grant,  V.P. Cluster Technologies
GSH Intelligent Integrated Systems
95 Fairmount St. Fitchburg Ma 01450
Phone 603.898.9717       Fax 603.898.9719
Email: davidg at gshiis.com      Web: www.gshiis.com
"Providing High Performance Computing Solutions for Over a Decade"