Beowulf on Sparc

Jason Rappleye rappleye at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Feb 15 13:18:52 PST 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 Scott.Brown at aventis.com wrote:

> This may seem to be a stupid question, pardon my ignorance. I'm looking for
> information on building Beowulf clusters with ultra sparc hardware. Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.
> Scott Brown.

Check out http://www.ccr.buffalo.edu/Hotpages/sun64text.html. It was
originally running Linux, but we switched to Solaris due to the fact that
the code generated by Sun's fortran compilers is, for various applications
we tried, 20-50% faster than g77 generated code. I can't recall how well
it did on C apps. It is possible to run some Solaris apps under linux,
however, be prepared to do some kernel hacking to get them to work
correctly. I was never able to get an Solaris-compiled MPI app to run on
more than two machines, but we had alot of success with one of our serial
codes. Let me know if you need any more info - I'll be more than happy to
provide it.

Jason

--
Jason Rappleye