Beowulf on Sparc

Schilling, Richard RSchilling at affiliatedhealth.org
Mon Feb 19 10:41:48 PST 2001

I was waiting for someone to mention DEC clusters.  I cut my teeth on those
in the early 90's.  The clustering aspect was really hidden from the
end-user, but it gave the DECs their high -availability status.  The
clustering worked really well to distribute file systems, but I don't
remember exactly how the clustering worked with shared processes - except
that we could access any node from the same terminal by talking directly to
the terminal servers when we logged in (frequently, the newer Alpha mini was
bogged down by students wanting to use the new hardware).  OpenVMS also has
a messaging capability that can be used by processes, but you'll have to ask
someone who worked with it directly.  It was similar to PVM, but was made to
work almost like an e-mail system with inboxes and outboxes that a process
could use to transmit data between the nodes.

As an undergrad, we had a class on parallel architectures, and we did some
distributed/clustering work on Suns, as well as DECs, but that was mostly
academic . . . so, it had been around a while.  I'm just happy that the
addition of PCs to that realm with beowulf class clusters makes this
available for my home.

And of course, in health care we do some clustering, but again that is
hidden from the end user very well.

Also, check out the following article.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-1999/jw-03-volanomark-2.html

This article will also talk about a suttle, but definite addition beowulfs
with Java virtual machines.  It compares Java as used in a
beowulf/clustering environment on various machines including Sparc, FreeBSD,
Linux, and others.

Richard Schilling
Webmaster / Web Integration Programmer
http://www.affiliatedhealth.org