Beowulf on Sparc

Josip Loncaric josip at icase.edu
Mon Feb 19 07:23:46 PST 2001

Raul Romero Wells wrote:

> Easy, as a Sun's dealer said: "you can instal Sun's linux on it..."
>
> Scott.Brown at aventis.com wrote:
>
> > This may seem to be a stupid question, pardon my ignorance. I'm looking for
> > information on building Beowulf clusters with ultra sparc hardware. Any
> > information would be greatly appreciated.

Clusters do not require Linux -- in fact, a nice Solaris cluster was
recently built at William & Mary:

http://www.compsci.wm.edu/SciClone/

SciClone is a heterogeneous cluster, using 64 Ultra 5 (single CPU
machines), 32+6 Ultra 60 (dual CPU machines), 4 Enterprise 420R servers
(quad CPU each) and an Ultra 60 front end machine.  This is a rich
environment designed to support a wide variety of research activities.

Sincerely,
Josip

--
Dr. Josip Loncaric, Senior Staff Scientist        mailto:josip at icase.edu
ICASE, Mail Stop 132C           PGP key at http://www.icase.edu./~josip/
NASA Langley Research Center             mailto:j.loncaric at larc.nasa.gov
Hampton, VA 23681-2199, USA    Tel. +1 757 864-2192  Fax +1 757 864-6134