Microsoft Releases Computational Cluster Technical Preview Toolkit

nashif at suse.de nashif at suse.de
Tue Feb 13 21:30:51 PST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Matt Links wrote:

> from http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp
>
> "Until recently, most clustered computers ran UNIX or proprietary
> operating systems on proprietary hardware. Microsoft changed all
> that with Windows® 2000, the de facto industry-standard operating
> system. Now anyone with massive computing needs can create
> clusters using commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) PCs and a shrink-wrapped
> version of Windows 2000. "
>
> I don't know about the rest of you but this makes me laugh.

I like this one: " ... ran UNIX or proprietary operating systems on
proprietary hardware,  Microsoft changed all that with Windows® 2000,".

Am I missing something, isn't  Windows® 2000 proprietary anymore?
I guess they are trying to avoid saying Linux here. So UNIX stands for
Linux I guess, cause Linux is the only non- proprietary operating used on
clusters.

Fact is that a windows cluster is in the TOP500 List. But it's the only
one among 500 Supercomputers. (and microsoft seems to be proud about
it: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/hpc/perform.asp).

Anas