how to tell when jobs are finished

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 13:44:43 PDT 2001

Why don't you try to catch the SIGCHLD?

When child exits, the parent receives SIGCHLD:

#include <signal.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>

int sh(int i) /* signal handler */
{
 int status;
 pid_t pid;

 printf("Hello\t");
 pid = wait(&status);
 printf("pid = %d  status = %d\n", pid, (status>>8));
}

main()
{
 int i;

 signal(SIGCHLD, sh); /* install handler */

 for (i=0;i<3;i++)
  if (fork()==0)
   { sleep(i);
     exit(i);
   }

 for (i=0; i<10;i++) /* parent work on other stuff */
   sleep(10);
}

The parent (main function) may not call sleep(10), I
used it as a hack. For you, you should call select to
listen to the new execution request from the cluster
master (like qmaster in SGE).

The program will print out the pid and exit status:
Hello	pid = 19443  status = 0
Hello	pid = 19444  status = 1
Hello	pid = 19445  status = 2

Just wanted to point out one thing here:
We are working on the process level. We need more work
to trace the process tree to make sure that we can get
the information about the job (which consists of 1
more more processes). Currently, if the child forks
another child, we won't be able to know.

-Ron