IBM goes grid

Jared Hodge jared_hodge at iat.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 3 07:46:51 PDT 2001

	Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the grid starting as a
supercomputing center initiative?  Not a spare CPU cycle harvester like
SETI at home, but a way of processing batch jobs on combined supercomputing
platforms.  This kind of limits the security problems being discussed so
far.  The internet2 is probably being used for communication, so that
should also help somewhat with security.  Of course it won't be
impervious, but every supercomputing center tries it's best to put up a
"sandbox" anyway.  I'm sure beowulfs at larger centers will be included,
but I imagine it will be a long, long time before general desktop
machines on the internet get added (if ever).
	So far distributed computing takes on two veins: controlled clusters
(which I'd call parallel computing, but many people reserve that for
single machines), and web-based codes.  I especially noticed this when
talking to my graduate advisor and we had a bit of a semantic difference
(other than the Indian - American thing) when I said I was interested in
parallel computing, and he said he only did distributed computing.  I
said Beowulf, he said he'd consider that to be distributed.  Anyway, my
point is that the grid is a great way to start merging these two
distinct sections of distributed/parallel computing.  They really are
taking the best path starting with trusted supercomputing centers and
migrating from there.
	By the way, the initial e-mail said that the grid vision is for
everyone on the internet to have the power of a supercomputer.  That's
not right.  I don't want every Joe Blow's bomb building codes (or kiddie
porn) running on the internet (and my computer), and neither do the
founders of the grid (I hope).  I think what they mean is that anyone
with a connection could potentially use the power of a supercomputer
(assuming their password is validated).  But doesn't that already exist
with say ssh and to a supercomputer site?  I think really what they have
in mind is a new "mega-computer" that incorporates many super
computers.  What do you think?