SMP Kernel for Scyld?

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Wed Aug 1 05:01:17 PDT 2001

On Wed, 01 Aug 2001, Lambe, Dave wrote:

> Howdy! Super newbie here (FYI).
> I have setup a small cluster (5 Dell Optiplexes=1 PIII CPU ea. & 4 SGI
> 1200s=2 PIII CPUs ea.) using the Scyld Distribution (Basic 27BZ-7?). What a
> great product for us Linux dummies! I am basically an NT Admin that
> possesses most of the hardware knowledge here.
> I was wondering if anyone could direct me toward an SMP kernel and
> instructions on installation? The SMP SGI boxes are only showing 1 CPU being
> recognized (seems a waste of the other 4 CPUs?) under BeoStatus. Is this
> something that could be compiled from the existing uni-processor kernel? How
> would I modify the boot diskettes(for those machines) to reflect the SMP
> kernel?
> Thanks for any direction offered.

If you look on the CD, there should be an RPM for an smp kernel on
there.  The filename should be kernel-smp-2.2.17-33.beo.i686.rpm.  This
kernel can then be installed using
'rpm -ihv kernel-smp-2.2.17-33.beo.i686.rpm'

After this, you will want to boot into the SMP kernel.  In order to do
this, you have to modify your /etc/lilo.conf file.  In that file should
be a section that looks like:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-33.beo
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

Below that, you'll want to add a section that looks like (with the root=
made to match what is already in your lilo.conf):

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-33.beosmp
        label=smp
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

Above that is a line that says 'default=linux'  you will want to change
that to 'default=smp' so that it will boot the SMP kernel by default.

If your master node has SCSI, then the stanza with the label of 'linux'
may have included a line that looks like:
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17-33.beo.img

If that is the case, then you will want to run the command:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.17-33.beosmp.img 2.2.17-33.beosmp

then add the following line to the stanza with the label of 'smp':
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17-33.beosmp.img

Save the file, then run '/sbin/lilo' so that the changes will take
affect.  Now reboot your system and it should boot into SMP mode.  Now
you have to go into beosetup, go to the file menu and click the option
to recreate the beoboot file.  This will recreate the second stage boot
image with the SMP kernel.  Once that is done, you should be able to
boot your nodes and they will boot with the SMP kernel and use all the
processors that are found.

FYI, if the the master node is an SMP box, the SMP kernel will
automatically be setup during the install process.