Short LAM MPI question (answer!)

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lam-mpi.org
Mon Apr 23 14:34:23 PDT 2001

This is in answer to an old thread on the this list from February 2001.
A LAM/MPI user was getting the error message "kernel (bind): Permission
Denied", and wanted to know what the problem was.  I ended the thread
with, "We fixed the problem off the list -- if anyone wants the details,
feel free to contact me."

Since then, many people have contacted me about this issue.  Hence, it's
probably worth posting back to the list so that web searches will turn up
the answer.  :-)

The original thread is:

http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2000-February/008366.html
http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2000-February/008394.html

The problem is that LAM tried to open a file (a named socket, actually) in
/tmp and failed.  This is typically because /tmp has incorrect
permissions.  LAM needs to open a named socket and some temporary files in
/tmp; if it can't, LAM will abort with this not-very-helpful error
message.  Barring any strange circumstances, /tmp should have 0777
permissions.

Our latest (CVS) version expands this error message to be a bit more
descriptive.  It will be in the released version of LAM/MPI 6.5.2.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres at lam-mpi.org
{+} http://www.lam-mpi.org/