1 GHz Athlon in 2U Case

J.W.Armstrong James at armstrong.uk.net
Tue Apr 24 01:28:21 PDT 2001

On 23-Apr-01 Vann H. Walke wrote:
> Anyone have experience with Athlons in a rackmount chassis?  Finding
> 300W power supplies in a 2U chassis is fairly easy, but I'm concerned
> about cooling.  Thoughts?  Any reccomendations as to manufacturer /
> vendor?
>
> Thanks,
> Vann
>

> LT V. H. Walke
> USNA Computer Science

Hi Vann,
        We currently run 16 2U 1Ghz AMD T'bird nodes in a single rack, Most
stock coolers will actually fit but I would recommend going for a 100% copper
cooler, they give better performance and generally have a lower profile. More
important is the airflow through the actual case. We use ACME ACM222 2U cases
which have 6 80mm fans.. 4 pushing air in and 2 (by the CPU) pulling air out.

                                                Hope this helps..

                                                                James

---

Email:  James at Armstrong.uk.net