Scyld & Ramdisk

David Vos dvos12 at calvin.edu
Thu Apr 19 20:00:39 PDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Jag wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, David Vos wrote:
>
> > Also, just a side note: Why doesn't the default kernel of Scyld include
> > Ramdisk support?  I couldn't boot my nodes until I recompiled the kernel.
> > After that, how do you install bproc via rpm?  If I just reinstalled the
> > rpms via 'rpm -Uvh --force', then I got error messages when trying to run
> > bpsh (and others).  I had to download the tar file and install that.
>
> The Scyld kernel /does/ include ramdisk support.  What are the problems
> you were getting with booting the slave nodes?

I wish I wrote the error messages down.  Something about unable to mount
03:05 or something.  I could reproduce the same error by compiling the
kernel without RamDisk support.  Then I could make it go away by only
changing the RamDisk in the kernel.

My installation process went like:
1. Do default Gnome Installation on master (27BZ-7)
2. Set network settings on master.
3. edit /etc/config.boot and add:
	pci     0x1148  0x4300  sk98lin
   so that my ethernet card will work.
4. Rebuild the beoboot image.
5. Build the boot disks.
6. Boot slave 0.
   Here I get the mounting error.
7. Recompile kernel with RamDisk support.
8. rpm -Uvh --force bproc*
9. Boot all nodes and enter in beosetup
10. Now get bproc errors (see further down)
11. download bproc tarbal.  Do make, make install, reboot.
12. Do the beofdisk -d, beofdisk -w, install kernal on /dev/hda on slaves
13. Everything seems to be working fine.

I might have forgotten a few steps.

> The errors you got later on with bpsh are most likely due to you not
> including the BProc patches in the kernel you compiled.

This is the error I get when installing via RPMS:
[dvos12 at ohm-master1 dvos12]$ bpsh 0 free
bpsh: Child process exit abnormally.

When I run `make install` on the tarbal, reboot, then everything is fixed:
[dvos12 at ohm-master1 dvos12]$ bpsh 0 free
Mem:       1035524      65888     969636       1296      37576      12384
-/+ buffers/cache:      15928    1019596
Swap:      1943856          0    1943856