How can I compute the range of signed and unsigned types

alvin alvin at iplink.net
Wed Apr 18 08:50:51 PDT 2001

Chris Richard Adams wrote:

> This is my point - how can I compute this so my code could run on any
> machine. I need to show the range possible on any machine...how can I
> compute that?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Well either the system will support IEEE floating point or it will not.
If it does you are ok. If not you will have to know what the quirks of
the floating point format are.

It is easy or difficult as that.

This Is a subtile point most miss.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974