How can I compute the range of signed and unsigned types

James Cownie jcownie at etnus.com
Wed Apr 18 06:19:11 PDT 2001

Jag wrote : -

> Those sizes are defined for the C language.  In order words, no
> matter if you're on a 32-bit machine or a 64-bit machine, an int is
> always going to be 32-bit and thus have the same numeric range
> because the standards say so.  This goes for all the basic types,
> not just int's.

No, the C standard says nothing of the sort.

All the C standard says is that

1) sizeof (char)  == 1
2) sizeof (short) >= sizeof (char)
3) sizeof (int)   >= sizeof (short)
4) sizeof (long)  >= sizeof (int)
5) sizeof (long long) >= sizeof (long).

It also does not specify that the representation of an int is two's
complement, so even on machines with the same sizeof(int) the legal
ranges could differ.

-- Jim

James Cownie	<jcownie at etnus.com>
Etnus, LLC.     +44 117 9071438