What do you guys thing about the P4

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Apr 4 13:00:17 PDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> Scott Shealy wrote:
>
> > impressive(almost 2.5 time faster than an ATHLON w/ PC133.... I haven't seen
> > any STREAM benchmarks for the DDR but my feeling is that the P4 is still
>
> You should compare stream for dual Athlons with DDR, not single CPU. I don't
> have numbers either, but I don't think Rambus will slash dual Athlon/DDR too
> badly, if at all.
>
> If anyone has numbers, please post them.

I have the numbers but cannot post them (without AMD permission that
seems not to be forthcoming any time soon).  So let me put this
obliquely.  The dual athlon (1.2 GHz) with DDR is about 1.35-1.5 times
faster than an RDRAM-equipped dual PIII (933 MHz) in the various stream
components, whether running one CPU or two (on either system).  This is
further borne out by results of cpu-rate.

I have nothing for the P4, and at their current prices am not likely to
in the short run, although I confess that I'm a slut and if somebody
wanted to give me one I'd be more than happy to run it through its paces
and report on it.

Speaking of DDR Athlons -- are there any motherboards that are actually
available out there?  Most of what I was able to find in a modest
websearch was VIA KT7 with ordinary SDRAM; the one or two vendors (e.g
ASUS) with a DDR/Athlon motherboard listed said something about being
currently unavailable.  Any recommendations or caveats?  I have grant
money that must be spent, and if I cannot find DDR's right now I'll have
to do ordinary SDRAM.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu