What do you guys thing about the P4

Scott Shealy sshealy at asgnet.psc.sc.edu
Wed Apr 4 09:51:49 PDT 2001

I know most people on this list right now seem to prefer the Athlon.  I
agree that the Athlon FPU kicks the P4's butt.  On the other hand the stream
benchmarks for the P4 with the RAMBUS memory subsystem are very
impressive(almost 2.5 time faster than an ATHLON w/ PC133.... I haven't seen
any STREAM benchmarks for the DDR but my feeling is that the P4 is still
gonna come out way on top).  So my question is would any of you build a P4
cluster if your application was bottlenecked by the memory subsytem.(ex.
Fluid Dynamics)? Any comments?

Scott Shealy