simulate cluster

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Tue Apr 3 16:35:19 PDT 2001

> I am a graduate student and am making a project to build a beowulf cluster for our lab and am advocating for High Performance Computing lab. Now my co-ordinator wants me to explain and present a simulation of beowulf cluster on a single machine that how things will work. Now i want some help and ideas so as how can i simulate things and apps and MPI or PVM or anything on a single machine.

VMware.

I use VMware on my laptop do develop software for Scyld Beowulf.

While MPI can be configured to run a bunch of jobs on a single machine,
the simple approach will never expose the administrative complexity of the
collection of machines you're contemplating. I feel that there is
substantial value in understanding what it takes to get a bunch of PCs to
play together.

Good luck!

Regards,
	Dan Ridge