NFS

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 4 07:56:04 PDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project wrote:
> I'm familiar with RH up2date, which they will now be charging a
> subscription rate to use.  However, what/who/where is "yup" and
> "update" as I would be interested in doing a massive update of a 64
> (out of a soon 128) node group of clusters.

If your machines have _identical_ installations, you could also try
our "Dolly" disk/partition cloning tool [1]. It allows you to clone
disks/partitions to any number of nodes. It connects the node with a
simple TCP multi-drop chain and therefore distributes the data with
around 10 MB/s independent on the number of nodes (for Fast Ethernet
and fast enough disks/systems). For example we cloned a 2 GB Windows
NT partition to 24 nodes in less than 4 minutes.

Please let me know if Dolly was helpfull to you.

Regards,
Felix

[1] http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/CoPs/patagonia/
Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307