<OT> SETI-style quest for cancer drugs

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 13:59:10 PDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Mike Schoppe wrote:

> What does this have to do with beowulf?

Mike __

For many in the teaching community, _justifying_ to the bean-counters
(or the Board of Governors) the reason for building a beowulf, or
converting existing classroom equipment into a 'Beowulf at Night', is
absolutely crucial to being able to make it happen in the first place.

The more activities of this type (SETI; Human Genome Project) that can
be quoted and marshalled in support, the more strings one has to one's
bow for obtaining project approval.  (I for one was glad to get this
snippet of information.)

Discussion of the financial ethics of projects undertaken however, is
only tangential to the subject of the list, I agree.  [Nonetheless an
important factor in the overall equation.]

msw
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] mwheeler at startext.co.uk                   http://www.startext.co.uk/

     - Share your knowledge. It's one way to achieve immortality. -