Beowulf and variable cpus

Fitch, Chester Chester.Fitch at mdx.com
Thu Sep 21 10:33:07 PDT 2000

As noted previously on this list, this all depends on your application. If
your application is tightly coupled, then yes, you will be limited by the
slowest compute node (unless you do some fairly sophisticated node profiling
and load balancing.)

One the other hand, if your application allows it, building a heterogeneous
cluster is a good way to put those old machines to productive work. MY
application, for example, is embarrassingly parallel - I'm running many,
many Monte Carlo simulations - each with differing input parameters. Each
simulation runs to completion on a single machine, and there is no processor
to processor communication required (other than between the Head and Compute
nodes). Therefore, I am able to utilize old hardware - what does it matter
(to the overall problem) if one node gets through 2 or 3 simulations in the
time it takes the slowest node to finish? My system is very small - only 7
compute nodes - consisting of 2 386 machines, 1 486 and 4 Pentiums (of
differing speeds), but I have been getting very good throughput,
considering...

Obviously, YMMV...

Just my $0.02

Chet