New price/performance leader for Ethernet switches?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Sep 19 22:42:17 PDT 2000

been looking at the dlink des-5600 which is $1300 for the chassis and
$1100 for the 4 port gig sx blades (it holds 4) which makes it fully
configured a bit under $5,000 less than a similar configuration from 3com
(9300 which we have) or extreme (3804) (though in it's defense the extreme
is a significantly more feature rich switch). you could also have it with
4 16 port ethernet blades for ~$2800 which might buy you better
performance (beyond 40 ports on the 4000M).

layer 2 fast ethernet switches have definently arrived at commidity
pricing, gig I think is a little further off, what with hp still charging
about $900 ea for single port gig blades in the 4000's.