Beowulf Clusters Book

Val Henson vhenson at esscom.com
Tue Sep 19 11:55:51 PDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 02:23:10PM -0400, Scott Burlington wrote:

> Honestly, I'd wait.  We bought the Linux Clusters book and honestly I
> don't feel that version 1.0 was really worth it.
>
> The software included could be useful, but as is always the case with
> software an internet connection is far more valuable than a CD.
>
> The book itself seems to have a hard time identifying it's
> audience.  There aren't many linux newbie's with $100 000 for a linux
> cluster yet the book seems to have an apologetic attitude towards being
> technical, frankly I find this a little baffling.

It seems to me that Linux newbies all too often find themselves in
charge of setting up a new Linux cluster.  Witness the number of
rsh-related questions on this list. :)

I agree, an internet connection is more valuable than a CD, and in
this case, more valuable than the book.  Someone setting up a Linux
cluster would probably be better off reading a few FAQ's, checking out
websites of other clusters, and reading the beowulf list archives.

-VAL