freezing system state

Adam Lazur alazur at plogic.com
Thu Sep 14 10:14:13 PDT 2000

Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de) said:
> Can anyone point me towards information how I can snapshot the entire
> system state to hard drive, and have an option to restore it at boot
> time?

There's the classic "suspend to disk" stuff that laptops do (which linux
works with, at least with my ancient Pentium 90 IBM thinkpad it does).
Though I think since the suspending is done in hardware, that Linux
doesn't even know about it.

I know AOpen (www.aopen.com) has a motherboard that advertises this
functionality in hardware. Whether it'll work with Linux, I don't know.

For non-hardware assisted suspend stuff, check out swsusp:
	http://falcon.sch.bme.hu/~seasons/linux/swsusp.html
	http://www.suse.de/~garloff/TravelMate/swsusp.html

Quoted from the swsusp.desc:

  Enable the possibilty of suspendig machine. It doesn't need APM.
  You may suspend your machine by either pressing Sysrq-d or with
  'swsusp' or 'shutdown -z <time> (patch for sysvinit needed). It
  creates an image which is saved in your active swaps. By the next
  booting the kernel detects the saved image, restores the memory from
  it and then it continues to run as before you've suspended.
  If you don't want the previous state to continue use the 'noresume'
  kernel option.

.adam

--
[                 Adam Lazur <alazur at plogic dot com>                  ]
[       Paralogic Inc. - www.plogic.com - www.xtreme-machines.com        ]